Sunday, May 6, 2012

Almost Summer and Surprises

 It has been a little warm in AZ lately. To most people's surprise, we don't live in the desert. The small town where we live is actually in the Pinal Mountains, about 4500 above sea level, so the higher elevation makes for nice weather. We stay consistently 10-12 degrees cooler than Pheonix. We have been averaging temperatures in the mid 80's, but with no humidity, it's not that bad. It also still gets into the low 70's at night which is perfect for our evening and morning walks.

A few weeks ago, we had an unseasonably warm day in the mid 90's and we decided it was time to break out the pool. Jude didn't know what to think of it at first, but he did have 1 last ring pop left from his Easter basket, so once we coaxed him in, he was sold. This kid LOVES water...he cries when bath time is over, but the water was cool since it was straight from the spicket, so that didn't help. He loves to splash and throw everything into his new toy, including his toothbrush and paci. Mason also likes having it in the back yard so he can take a dip while we're at work.
 Last weekend, Jude and I made a suprise visit home to NC for an early Mother's Day for my Mom and Mother in Law. My brother, brother in law, and father in law all knew so they could correlate picking us up and making sure the grandma's could get time off. It went off without a hitch. No one had any idea and we had a wonderful visit. The weather was wonderful and we had a great time enjoying cup cakes from Brittany, breakfast at Chickfila, and playing on his birthday slide and on the golf course with Nana. I love giving surprises, so to see everyone's faces was great. I think my favorite had to be my sister. Though she's not a Mom, I wanted to surprise her too, so Phillip helped make sure she wasn't scheduled to work. I thought we would be awake before she got to Mom and Dad's but we weren't, so I woke up to her in my face asking, "Why are you in my bed!?!?" Too funny. Of course, Jude was spoiled and given all the attention. It was so nice to be home and I can't wait for our trip this summer. We plan to be home all summer, making trips to North Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Auburn, Tennessee, and spending lots of quality time with family and friends.
On another note, this little guy continues to melt my heart. He is so sweet! He has added the word "Please" to his sign vocabulary and uses it very well. He has begun to use 2 word sign phrases like "Milk please" or "More please". He'll also say "Cracker" then sign please. He still doesn't say a lot of words, but he seems to communicate effectively without a whole lot of whining, praise the Lord and knock on some wood people. Just this morning, he wanted his toothbrush and signed "more" after pointing to it. I didn't get it quick enough and I asked him to "Ask nicely please" and he quickly got quiet and signed "please". He still loves Mason and they are so good with each other. Jude has begun to get really attached to me. He wimpers and cries when I leave him, but his sitters tell me it's only for a few minutes. We have definitely had to discipline this little guy, especially when dealing with meal time and him sticking everything in the dog food bowl. Yesterday I gave him a carrot to gnaw on and this child was caught "dipping" it in the dog food bowl. He would stick it in the food, lick the carrot, then repeat. Gross!

He cracks me up. Last nigth we taught him how to play Ring Around the Rosies and he loved it. He kept signing, "More please" and he would grab onto mine and Justins' hands for us to get up and do it again. I can't believe how quickly he's changing and I'm trying to soak up every minute. I am so thankful to have such a flexible schedule with teaching and I'm eager to spend every day with him this summer.

Next weekend, Justin's grandparents, The Caldwells, will be visiting and we're really looking forward to their visit. :)

No comments: