Friday, November 23, 2012

Holiday Festivities

 Thanksgiving came and went for us quickly. We enjoyed the day off just being with each other. I made pumpkin bread, a pecan pie, and a yummy dinner, just for Justin, Jude, and me. We had a friend and her son come over for dessert and for the boys to play, but other than that, if felt like an ordinary day. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spending time with family and miss our family terribly. But, every holiday since we've been married, we have to travel. Though I would have loved to be with our family, it was also nice not having to deal with the stress of long drives and flights, traffic, living out of a suitcase, blah blah blah. I'm ready to be close enough for a day visit! Hint hint, wink wink Justin!

We woke up this morning, well, I woke up this morning, ready for Christmas. Justin and I always promised each other that we would never decorate or get in the hype of Christmas until after Thanksgiving. We don't judge those who do, but we both feel that life is so stinking short, let's not rush something away. Justin, Jude, and I joined friends at the Seattle parade this morning. Jude LOVED it. The bands were great and he especially liked the "big dinos" (dinosaurs), dancing cupcakes, and the reindeer! He was so stinking cute. We got soaking wet, but it was fun.
 When we got home, I was ready to decorate. We pulled out all of our decorations, turned on the Christmas music, and started. Jude was really into it with us. He had bows all over him and played with the ornaments as we got them out. He really liked the Duke basketball ornament I bought him last year but didn't quite get we shouldn't throw the "ball" because it might break.

Justin's mom started a tradition for him and his brother that I also started for Jude. She got them an ornament every year that she used on her own tree and she tried to get them things that were personal for that year. For example, when Justin was in high school, he had longer hair his senior year and people started calling him Ringo from the Beatles. That year, she got him a Beatles ornament. When we got married, she graciously handed over the ornaments to us to use in our own home and I LOVE the tradition! Jude has a "baby's first Christmas" with his picture from last year, as well as the Duke Basketball one. I thought it was cute. :)

I am pleased to say that I think our tree looks lovely!

Also while putting decorations up, we of course got out our nativity scene. As we put up the scene, Justin went through the story with Jude, one that we've read to him before. However, by being able to see and touch the characters, Jude really got into it. We also have a tiny little one just for Jude's room to make his own. If you notice from this picture, Baby Jesus is missing. Jude wanted to nap with him. (For Baby Jesus to take precedence over Big Horse and Brown Cow, that's a big deal in our house!) I sang Christmas carols to Jude while I rocked him this afternoon, and as he sat there holding Baby Jesus, I couldn't help but tear up. I was reminded of the verse that we must come to Him as innocent children, and to hear Jude's innocent voice refer to our Savior as Baby Jesus simply moved me. He is beginning to understand and recognize already. Oh what a job we've been give. To point our sweet boy to our Savior!

I am so excited about the upcoming festivities. We have several things planned in the community and with friends before we fly home for Christmas. I know this season will bring lots of joy and happiness, filled with memories we will cherish forever!

"O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie. The hopes and fears of all the years, are met in thee tonight."

No comments: