Sunday, December 2, 2012

Taco Casserole and a Litte Tip

It's been a long while since I've posted a recipe so I thought I would add one for this week. :) If you know me at all, I enjoy cooking. I love finding or creating that perfect recipe, making it, and having people I love enjoy the final product. I don't even mind cleaning up...a little bit of my OCD kicks in.

When we moved to WA, I realized quickly that I wasn't enjoying cooking any more because it took time away from Jude. I already feel that my time with his is so spare during the week days that I actually got emotional about it one night. So, starting in September, I went back to my routine when I coached volleyball and started cooking yummy meals on Sundays that make good leftovers. I try to make something for Monday/Tuesday, then something for Wednesday/Thursday, and EVERY Friday is our weekly pizza or chicken nuggets. :) Sometimes these meals include crock pot meals like Taco soup, Ranch Chicken, or a roast. Mostly though, our meals consume of casseroles or lean meats with sides. It is such a good feeling knowing that all I have to do when I get home is put something in the oven or on the stove top...no prep needed.

This week, I've prepared a yummy recipe that I forgot how much we enjoy and how good it is as a leftover. I hope you enjoy:

Taco Casserole

Ingredients:
-1.5 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
-1 package low sodium taco seasoning
-1 can refried beans
-1 can crescent rolls
-1 cup shredded cheddar
-Optional toppings, in which I use all: sour cream, salsa, black olives, jalapenos, & shredded lettuce
*1 shredded zuchini. See disclaimer below. :)

Directions:
-Cook and drain meat. Add 3/4 cup water and taco seasoning. Let simmer
-Grease 9 x 13 casserole dish and spread crescent rolls in dish, pushing together seams. Bake according to package directions. (375 for 10-12 minutes I think.)
-spread refried beans over cooked crescent rolls
*place shredded zuchini over if desired
-Spread meat over
-Top with cheese
-Bake for 6-7 minutes at 350 or until cheese is melted
-Serve with toppings and tortilla chips! YUM!

*Thankfully, sweet Jude is a really good eater. He will eat just about anything, including lima beans. However, my husband is not a great veggie eater, ok, but not great. I have found that my boys don't like the same veggies. Jude likes green beans and lima beans--Justin despises both. Justin enjoys asparagus, which is WAY too expensive not on sale so that doesn't happen often. He also likes zuchini and spinach salads, neither of which Jude likes. I can't get either one of them to touch broccoli. With that said, I can't do all or none, so I've started sneaking in veggies in EVERYTHING. Zuchini, steamed carrots, and spinach are the most inconspicuous so I've started using my electric chopper (not as gross as pureeing them, though I will do that for soups) and add them to just about any recipe. I've put one or all veggies in recipes such as chicken pie, spaghetti sauce, corn cassrole, and taco meat. The key is to make them chopped fine enough that there are no chunks. Any who, I've been doing that since the summer and it's working well and I feel better that both Justin and Jude are getting veggies every day. :)

Enjoy the recipe!

No comments: