Sunday, November 17, 2013

Happy Birthday!

Sadie Caroline Dellinger
Born: Sunday, November 17, 2013, 9:47 am
7 lb. 11 oz
20 inches long

Our hearts are overwhelmed with joy and excitement as we welcome our sweet baby girl to our family. As she cuddles with her Daddy and Jude is at home with Mo Mo, I wanted to go ahead and document her arrival while the details are in tact in my mind.

Because Jude came quickly (less than 3 hours from 1st contraction to birth), my midwife, Justin and I had reservations about Sadie coming even quicker. With the hospital 20 minutes away and I-90 traffic, we had peace in the final weeks about doing a natural induction to have a more controlled birth. At my last appointment (11/13) I was 39 weeks and 3 cm dilated and 60% effaced. My body was already showing it was ready and we solidified the plan to induce.

On Saturday, 11/16, Mo Mo, Justin, Jude and I enjoyed sleeping in, watching cartoons and a beautiful morning at the park before getting to the hospital a little after 11:00 am to check in. We all went together and Jude was able to see me get my IV, snuggle with me, and gave my Mom a chance to see how to navigate the area since she's never been to Issaquah before. Jude leaving was much harder than we anticipated, in that he did not want to go without me. He screamed, "Come home Mommy!" as Justin walked him and my Mom to the car. Talk about breaking my heart.

At 12:30 pm, my midwife stripped my membranes. I was still at 3 cm, but my cervix had gone to 90% effaced, so it was already thinning on it's own. At this point, I was having the same trend as I did with Jude so we were feeling confident we were moving in the right direction. We enjoyed watching the AU vs. UGA game and my contractions stayed exactly at 10 minutes apart from 2 pm-6:15 pm. At 6:15 pm, my midwife checked me and I had gone to 4 cm and was now completely thinned out, again, going in the right direction. She broke my water and pretty quickly, my body began to contract quicker, staying from 5 to 2 minutes apart through the night (starting at 7 pm and going until 6:30 am). I was able to get some rest from about 3-6 am in spurts. Mom and Justin also tried to rest and we made it through the night, in labor, but nothing too hard. 

Around 6, since we had reached the 12 hour mark, my midwife and I discussed having a "whiff" of Pitacon to see if we could get my contractions stronger. At this time, they were occurring every 2-3 minutes, but were at about a 7 in pain, rather than super intense, which would get Sadie through the birth canal. I had peace about doing this and Justin supported my decision. At 6:45 am, 15 minutes after starting the Pitocin, I had my first really intense contraction. I was able to use the birthing ball, walk around and move much easier than I did with Jude. (At this point with Jude, my body responded to the pain with intense shaking, so I was confined to my bed.)

Around 9 am, my midwife suggested getting in the jacuzzi since I was having really intense back labor at this point. I got in and continued to contract as I had for the last few hours. The hot water definitely helped relieve some pressure from my back and my tummy. Around 9:35-9:40, my nurse and I began talking about progress, as I had stayed at this timing and intensity for a few hours at this time. During our conversation, I had a very strong contraction occur and I felt a pop. (I would later learn after Sadie was born it was her poor face ramming into my pelvic bone.) When I felt the pop, I had intense pressure begin and the contraction continued, bringing no relief. Justin, Mom, and my midwife helped me get out and dry off, the whole time, my body staying in the contraction. I said I need to lie down and once I was in the bed, I knew I needed to push. As soon as I rolled over, my Mom and midwife said, "there's her head" and I began pushing. Roughly 3 minutes later, our sweet girl was here.

Though the process was longer, when this little gal decided she was ready, she was ready. We are thrilled to have her and big brother Jude had a great response to her. He loves the new horses Sadie brought him. He wanted to share with her immediately (hope this keeps up) and his first questions were "Can I see her tiny toes?" and "Is Mommy's tummy different?" He didn't want to leave without her. 

We hope to get home tomorrow and begin to adjust as a family of 4. 

Every good and perfect gift comes from above. 

Thank you Lord for your many blessings over our family.

*My computer isn't compatible to my camera, so I hope to upload more pictures on Justin's computer in the next few days.*

No comments: